RE: NAT support and laws for the lawless

Hallam-Baker, Phillip wrote:
> NAT has an important security role. We deploy it because our
> customers want
> to conceal their IP addresses against traffic analysis.

This is just bogus crap they have been sold. It is easier to perform
traffic analysis on a NAT address that doesn't move than to figure out
if a particular address cooresponds to a node that has changed subnets.
NAT is not a security tool, get over it. If they really want to avoid
traffic analysis have them use RFC3041 addresses with ESP.

> Given that in the original Internet design IP was just the
> protocol run on
> the 'network of networks' I don't think that the claims that
> NAT is foreign
> to the Internet is valid. NAT appears to me to be part and
> parcel of the
> original concept.

The original concept was based on a single global address space with
multiple administrative partitions, not the brokenness of multiple
overlapping address spaces.

> > email is a specious analogy, because many of the legacy
> systems were
> > implemented before, not in defiance of, Internet specs.
>
> Many of the problems with email are caused by compliance with
> IETF specs
> that were based on a broken model. The idea that servers
> should perform
> character set translation was broken, as was the idea that
> servers should do
> line wrapping for the client. But those servers are out there.
>
> When we designed HTTP all sorts of people were telling us
> that the protocol
> should assume that proxies mangle headers in the same way
> that mail agents
> do. Some well known IETF folks were screaming and stamping their feet,
> claiming that we should transport all images using BASE64
> encoding, in case
> someone was using a connection that was not 8 bit clean.
>
> But as I said, it does not matter how we got into the swamp
> or whose fault
> it is. We are now in the swampt and we cannot get out of it using the
> mathematicians technique 'assume that we are on dry land'.

In this case you can. Assume you have an IPv6 network between the
endpoints, and let the stack work out the layers of framing necessary to
make that true.

Tony