RE: Towards closure on NAT traversal.

Yet there are some things that seem to me logically impossible in
the presence of a NAT.  Consider an ESP encrypted, or even just
authenticated, FTP control channel.  In order for the NAT to function
"transparently" it must assemble, parse, and alter the TCP stream
when necessary (PORT command).  How can this possibly work using
straight IP with IPSec unless the NAT cracks the keys et cetera?  Not
to mention that a NAT box with such capabilities would be an even
more powerful assault weapon than is a plain old NAT box...

I would submit FTP as a proof of existence of insoluble problems in
*transparently* traversing a NAT with IPSec.

Even adding Security Gateway code to a NAT, which in many respects
would seem the best form of "IPSec pass-through", would still leave
the problems caused by uncoordinated use of private address space
on the other side of the NAT in non VPN environments.

How long a list of exceptions can any "solution" to this charter
item tolerate and still deserve to be called a solution?

    Greg Bailey     |  ATHENA Programming, Inc  |  503-295-7703  |
  ----------------  |  310 SW 4th Ave  Ste 530  |  fax 295-6935  |
  greg@minerva.com  |  Portland, OR  97204  US  |