RE: Towards closure on NAT traversal.

At 09:34 AM 3/4/02 -0800, Hallam-Baker, Phillip wrote:
>The only way to fix those problems properly is to charter the NASTY working
>group to do a standards protcol for NAT discovery and port reservation and
>then deep integrate that into the IP stack so that when the call for 'give
>me a new socket' is made the IP stack sends a message off to the NAT box to
>request a port to be reserved.

That working group exists (midcom).  I chair it but don't
agree with the basic model, preferring something closer to
TED (see my "network-friendlier midcom" draft).

There's recently been a bunch of work in the academic community
on overlay networks, which is probably closer to what's being
discussed here.

Melinda