Regarding the next version of IKE

Title: Regarding the next version of IKE

Hello,
In the interest of stimulating a positive IPSec WG debate on the next version of IKE, I would like to offer a few key observations that my colleagues and I have found in a review of the IKEv2 proposal (February 2002; Harkin, Kaufman, Perlman, et al).

A first observation in evaluating the merits of any proposal is the state of or possibility of implementation given what we read.  This aspect was the intellectual or common sense criteria we looked for first.  Of the 3 proposals discussed at the last meeting (Salt Lake City), only the IKEv2 proposal had enough detail, in our opinion, for organizations to implement the protocol (not just the key exchange) as written. Perhaps by now, March 5, 2002, the other proposals too have been substantially detailed so that the same thing may be said of their work.  Thanks to Mr. Paul Hoffman, Director-VPN Consortium, for providing a useful link where this material may be found.

A second observation or concern was a proposal's ability to be compatible with deployed devices using IKEv1.  Investment costs would indeed be heavy if all v1-enabled devices could no longer play in the next version of the IKE world.  The IKEv2 proposal as written offers a methodology whereby an IKEv2/IKEv1 device (or node) can interact with an IKEv1 only device by detecting that single version characteristic and communicate only in v1. This attribute preserves the usability of v1 devices and the end user's huge equipment investment.

Some other observations that we found and wish to share with the membership are listed below. They are not ranked in any particular order of importance.

The authors of JFK have, to their credit, achieved name recognition and favorable press attention in the last several months.  Being fairly new to the IETF and IPSec WG in December 2001, it appeared that there was only one alternative to v1 and that was JFK.  Further WG involvement and analysis suggests this is not the case and I would invite other members to comment or expand upon the pros or cons listed above. We owe it to ourselves to make an informed decision based on the usability of what we read.

Cheers,

Dennis Beard
613-768-0323