Re: NAT Traversal

> I agree to your above assertion, and I also want to state that RFC 2401
> REQUIRES all IPsec implementations to search the SA on {dest IP, IPsec
> Protocol, SPI}, and also pretty strongly recommends all IPsec
> implementations to index their SAD by Destination Address, Protocol and
> SPI.

This is not my interpretation of 2401.  2401 says that the receiver
picks the SPI.  A consequence of this is that:

 - the IPsec protocol value *may* be used as part of the lookup but
   there is no requirement that it be used.

 - in the case of unicast traffic, an implementation could assign SPIs
   in such a way that it need not use the destination address to look up the
   SA (however, it might examine the destination address in subsequent
   policy checks).

					- Bill