Re: Problem about reassembly and fragmentation

At 09:28 PM 3/7/02 , Nagendra B.S wrote:
>As per RFC [2401], all fragmented packets should be reassembled  before
>applying IPSEC.

How do you come to that conclusion?  The text reads:

   In tunnel mode, AH or ESP is applied to an
   IP packet, the payload of which may be a fragmented IP packet.  For
   example, a security gateway, "bump-in-the-stack" (BITS), or "bump-
   in-the-wire" (BITW) IPsec implementation may apply tunnel mode AH to
   such fragments.

It would appear to state that if you are using tunnel mode, you can
encrypt fragments.