Re: Choosing between IKEv2 and JFK

On Mon, 11 Mar 2002, Michael Thomas wrote:
>  >   Not that I can see. It requires that the QoS level be negotiated, but this
>  > is an additional "parameter", rather like an cipher algorithm.
>
>    Within IKE??? I don't see it. If not IKE, whose
>    parameter are you talking about here?

Instead of negotiating (tunnel from A to B), as you can do now, you'd
have to be able to negotiate (tunnel from A to B with tos-bits
010101). IKE currently can't do that. I believe that's what mcr is
saying..

Note that (IMO) this says nothing of policing, admission control,
etc. It's merely a tunnel we're negotiating. It's up to some local
policy manager on the endpoints (not IKE!) to decide whether this is
an allowable tunnel for the user (and whether the user/endpoint is
allowed to send traffic under Qos-level 010101 to begin with). IKE
should care about NONE of those things. IKE gets told "negotiate this
tunnel for me" and IKE goes and does it.

jan
 --
Jan Vilhuber                                            vilhuber@cisco.com
Cisco Systems, San Jose                                     (408) 527-0847