RE: Remove SHOULD for elliptic curve groups in IKEv2

> >3. SHOULD   This word, or the adjective "RECOMMENDED", mean
> that there
> >    may exist valid reasons in particular circumstances to ignore a
> >    particular item, but the full implications must be understood and
> >    carefully weighed before choosing a different course.

The valid reason for ignoring them is that the patent owners seem unwilling
to disclose exactly what they own. The implication of ignoring them is that
you won't be able to match the preferred security profile of many(?) other
implementations.

> In the IETF, SHOULDs are supposed to reflect reality. The IPsec WG
> has been particularly bad at this, with the TIGER example being an
> excellent example.

But are the SHOULDs supposed to reflect the current reality or the
anticipated reality of when the protocol advances to draft standard? IKEv1
never advanced that far; if it had, we would have had to remove TIGER, or at
least reduce it to a MAY. If you weren't able to specify MUST or SHOULD for
features that aren't widely implemented yet, then we wouldn't be able to
define new protocols.

Andrew
There are no rules, only regulations. Luckily,
history has shown that with time, hard work,
and lots of love, anyone can be a technocrat.