RE: Remove SHOULD for elliptic curve groups in IKEv2

Certicom have been very active in this area.

They have a document stating their patents/applications:

http://www.secg.org/collateral/certicom_secg_patent.pdf

This is better than what they used to say which was along the lines of "we
have patents in this area that you might infringe but if you buy a licence
from us you'll be ok".

Their earliest patent listed above was in 1988 and covers multiplication
using base-normal form.  There are other patents (by others) covering
multiplication with normal basis representation.

I did a (general) patent search on "Elliptic Curve" and "Cryptography" and
that came up with 114 patents in the last 6 years.  Quite apart from various
acceleration patents, a number of signature methods are also covered.

Again, I am not experienced in interpreting patents either.

Chris