Re: Remove SHOULD for elliptic curve groups in IKEv2

After experiments with one of IKE gateways which implements ECC groups from
draft-ietf-ipsec-ike-ecc-groups-03.txt I found that there appear to be no
way to interoperate with this box without violating some of patents.

In order to interoperate with that vendor IKE implementation must use some
of following techniques in order to process data in the KE payload or
generate the same g^xy:

     1) point compression, such that only the lowest bit of polynomial
representation of x/y is transmitted
     2) xyc * G is used in place of of g^xy, where c is "cofactor"

These techniques are likely to be patented in applications #2 and #5
respectively, listed on the last page of
     http://www.secg.org/collateral/certicom_secg_patent.pdf:

     > 2.  Methods for point compression.
     > 5.  Methods to avoid the small subgroup attack.

It is possible to avoid patented methods.

For 1) there exist more efficient techniques, such as the one proposed by
Roger Schlafly on Nov 12 2001 to the P1363 mailing list. Similar compression
method should be made mandatory.
For 2) one will use DH without cofactor multiplication (i.e., the shared
secret will be exactly g^xy) and use other methods to verify g^x received
from the peer.

It would be beneficial if abovementioned draft had clearly specified
patent-free point compression and g^xy.