Re: 10 years and no ubiquitous security

> Dennis Beard wrote:
>
> Hello Mr. Simpson,
>
> I am not quite sure what was the point of your "10 year" memo,

Perhaps just to highlight that something in the process is broken?
10 years and we haven't got this stuff fully deployed yet.

Hell, you could argue about whether we've even got it completely
designed and properly specified. (I'd say "Yes, but...".)

Compare this to the web, which is about 12 years old. If it had
developed equally slowly, we'd stiil be using Gopher and quite
a few well-known companies, products, job titles, etc. would not
exist.

Methinks security (e.g. IPsec) is as important as accessibility
(e.g. http), both to businesses and to end users. We really need
ubiquitous IPsec, and we don't seem to be getting it, despite
assorted valiant efforts.

> but ... Steve Kent. ...

Not worth discuusing unless you know a lot more of the history than
I do, or want to.

> Should you have constructive comments that can help make things run
> more smoothly in the WGs, you would indeed further the cause of
> Internet Security delivered more quickly to the user community.

A quick check shows Simpson listed as author, co-author or editor
for 30 or so RFCs. Methinks he's paid his dues, and his comments
should be taken as constructive, even when they are harsh.