RE: 10 years and no ubiquitous security

>> I am not quite sure what was the point of your "10 year" memo,

Obviously the writer is not familliar with USENet or Slashdot
and does not know the vicarious thrill of reading a well written
troll.

> Compare this to the web, which is about 12 years old. If it had
> developed equally slowly, we'd stiil be using Gopher and quite
> a few well-known companies, products, job titles, etc. would not
> exist.

Deployment of the Web was much easier because it required only
single ended adoption. It was possible to install a Web server
without any administrative privs, it was possible to install a
Web browser without any administrative privs.

IPSEC is by necessity double ended adoption which is very much
slower to deploy.

Plus the hard issue for IPSEC was not the packet format, it
was the keying issue which was in turn held up by the patent
encumbrances.

>> but ... Steve Kent. ...

Is personally responsible for all the failures of the IETF,
the IESG and the IAB. I have it on good authority that he was
also personaly responsible for the West Palm Beach 'Butterfly
Ballot', the design of the electoral voting machine chad and
thus GWB making him personaly and directly responsible for
all global events of any significance since the founding of
the republic, possibly earlier...

I personally disagree with the above statement as it would
appear to somewhat overstate the role of Steve in geo-political
affairs.

As it would happen Steve and I appear to be sharing a black
helicopter to the next meeting of the New World Order.

	Phill

Phillip Hallam-Baker (E-mail).vcf