Re: 10 years and no ubiquitous security

On Wednesday, March 13, 2002, at 06:49 , William Allen Simpson wrote:
 > 10 years ago on Tuesday, Phil Karn sprawled out across my hotel
 > room bed and drew the packet header that became ESP.

Actually, that packet header wasn't directly related to ESP,
though there aren't but so many ways a security encapsulation
can be framed.

The SP3 spec, published by NIST more than 10 years ago, was the
direct predecessor to ESP.  This was noted in RFC-1827, I believe.
Credit is due to the (mostly DoD sponsored) group that came up
with SP3 long ago.  I didn't happen to be at that ad-hoc meeting
in San Diego, so I wasn't influenced by it -- and I'm the one
who wrote the ESP spec in the early 90s, initially inside the
IPng WG as an individual contribution.

I decline to comment on the other portions of your posting.

Ran
rja@extremenetworks.com