Sent: Saturday, March 16, 2002 4:25 AM
Subject: Re: 10 years and no ubiquitous security

> Today, IPSec has insignificant deployment, and the WG goeth on forever.

> Should I remind folks that at that same San Diego IETF, JI and Phil and
> Steve Deering and others of us had a lunch BOF on Mobile-IP?

You're not the only one who was "around back then". I think most of us
remember the world slightly differently from you. Whatever.

People still can't get basic DNS deployment right, and that's quite a
bit older than IPsec or Mobile-IP. (I deployed my first nameserver 14
years ago).

Unfortunately, standards are irrelevant without ubiquitous deployment of
software that is (reasonably) easy to use; it hasn't been a
inter-geek-net for a long time.

Look at SSH; it *still* isn't completely standardized, but it is much
easier to use (and more important, deploy) than IPsec. On the other
hand, there's pkix; heavily documented and standardised, but hideously
difficult to deploy and use.

Of course, IPsec doesn't solve many problems, either, but that's an
entirely separate debate. <ducking>

--
Harald Koch     <chk@pobox.com>

"It takes a child to raze a village."