Re: 10 years and no ubiquitous security

At 03:49 PM 3/13/2002, William Allen Simpson wrote:
>10 years ago tomorrow, Brian Lloyd and I had a "rubber hose" lunch
>meeting with Steve Kent, who as a member of the IAB had refused to allow
>the PPP WG to publish CHAP in our RFC as an official authentication
>protocol.  (He had previously mandated that we remove all security
>protocol negotiation.)  He backed down, but we had to change the name
>from "cryptographic" to "challenge".

Well, I am not sure it was a "rubber hose" lunch although I do remember
being annoyed.  As I recall Steve pointed out that CHAP was not strong by
cryptographic authentication standards and he did not want to attach a
seal-of-approval on that basis.  As I recall, I argued that the alternative
then in use was clear-text passwords and asked if he felt that CHAP was
superior to that.  He did and agreed to sign-off on CHAP on that basis.  I
understood that he wanted good cryptographic authentication but we finally
agreed that anything better than passwords was a good thing to have.

I am not entirely sure that I would blame the failure to adopt a coherent
set of security standards entirely on Steve Kent.

Brian Lloyd
brian@lloyd.com
+1.530.676.1113 - voice
+1.360.838.9669 - fax