Re: Addresses in traffic selectors in IKEv2

Folks,

This has been a helpful message exchange, as I think there is a clear
desire to move to a uniform way of negotiating values for all
selectors, and the list of ranges (allowing for trivial ranges) does
just that. Steve Bellovin reminded me that JFK proposes this approach
and I think it is an excellent one. This approach encompasses what
could be expressed via masks, a single value, or a list of individual
values.

As others have noted, it may be preferable for a management interface
to allow other forms of data entry, e.g., masks, but what we're
talking about is what will appear in the SPD model and in IKE
exchanges. Also recall that the SPD model does not say how one must
implement the functionality, just what the required functionality is.
Thus it's OK for a management interface to provide a mask capability
that is translated into a range representation internally. I am aware
of several IPsec implementations that offer management interfaces
that map well into the SPD functional requirements even though they
do not translate the SPD description directly.

Finally, re use of CAMs in high speed hardware, I think it was useful
to observe that one can represent all of these forms of selector
values via (ternary) CAM entries, but not necessarily on a one-to-one
basis.  Going forward, I plan to use a model for 2401bis that assumes
use of de-correlated SPD entries, which is consistent with use of a
ternary CAM for processing.  Again, the processing model is not
proscriptive from an implementation perspective, but it does
establish functional requirements.

Some folks have noted that allowing ranges and multiple discrete
values for selectors associated with a single SA will eat up CAM
entries faster. That's true, but the motivation for including these
sorts of multi-valued selectors is to address real world
requirements. We used to have analogous requirements in 2401, prior
to publication, but we removed them at the last minute to accommodate
limitations in IKE v1.  I've been told by several vendors that this
is a feature that clients have asked for, which reinforces the notion
that it is appropriate to include in 2401bis.

The goal here is to allow a security administrator/user to cause all
traffic directed to a peer IPsec device, and that meets certain
syntactic criteria, to be mapped to a single SA. This is desirable to
avoid creation of additional SAs when not otherwise desired by the
administrator/user.

Steve