RE: remove TS from IKEv2 (RE: Addresses in traffic selectors in IKEv 2)

Hi Michael,

Comments inline below...

Michael Choung Shieh wrote:
> I don't think TS is able to setup SPD, or to enforce security policy.
It's
> really indicate the configured SPD of the sa.  If SPD is simple then
there
> is no problem to put it in TS.  However, once SPD gets complex (or
include
> dynamic factor), it's so tedious to parse and analyze them.
especially the
> only purpose of it is an index and an warning of mis-configuration for
SPD.

I agree that traffic selectors are not meant to be used for SPD setup,
but I disagree with the statement regarding policy enforcement. Upon
receiving selectors, I think an implementation should verify that these
do not run afoul of configured policy (in the SPD), i.e. I think they
directly relate to policy enforcement. Their purpose is more than to
provide an index or a warning of misconfiguration. The two SGW's may be
in different domains of control. This means they may have different
policies. The purpose of ID payloads is to indicate what traffic type(s)
the other end would like to place in the SA.

> If two parties agree to have one 3DES/SHA1 SA as tunnel id 1 and
another
> AES/MD5 SA as tunnel id 2.  They can just setup SPD of (FTP,HTTP) to
tunnel
> 1, (SMTP,TELNET) to tunnel 2.  If it's mis-configured, the traffic
won't go
> through (instead of IKE fails).

This seems to assume that either the SGWs are in the same domain of
control, or that they have agreed in advance to associate certain IDs
with certain selector aggregates. This is not scalable, and almost
certainly precludes the notion of "opportunistic" SA setup.

> Another example is the popular "policy/address grouping" features.  If
you
> config 2 policy group each has 2 sources address and 3 dst address,
it's
> total 12 sa in IKEv1.  it would be 2 sa with 6 TS payload each in
IKEv2.  It
> can be just simplified to have 2 sa with id 1 & 2, instead of trying
> matching 2 out-of-order TS chaining.

I think the ability to aggregate the IDs into one SA (pair), as proposed
for IKEv2, is a significant improvement over v1. Yes, it is more complex
than single ID payloads, but the payoff is in reduced overall overhead
for the SGWs. In enterprise VPN deployments, it is very common to
encounter multiple subnets behind each SGW, and the current need to
negotiate one SA pair per subnet pair is a limiting factor in tunnel
capacity. This proposal resolves this issue.

Scott

<<winmail.dat>>