Re: divergent interpretations of IKE/IPsec - interop issues

Joern,

--- Joern Sierwald <joern@f-secure.com> wrote:
> >(1)       [IP][data]  ==(IPsec)==>  [IP][AH][ESP][encrypted IP+data]
> >
> >To negociate such transform as IKE-initiator,
> >(2) some implementations send a QM proposal of AH_transport + ESP_tunnel
> >     (6WIND, KAME, OpenBSD...)
> >(3) some other implementations send a QM proposal of AH_tunnel +
> >     ESP_tunnel (FreeS/WAN, Cisco...)
>
> The past few interops I've been to have addressed this issue over and over
> again.
> The agreement was that (3) is correct.
>
> Some software may accept type (2) proposals are well, if they are responder.
> But sending type (2) QM proposals is not allowed.

This is one of the things that should go into any documents
clarifying how to implement IKEv1, and there are a lot of
other issues like this, such as:

  - the order of ESP & AH in the proposal (and are you
    allowed to reverse it in a response),
  - don't use multiple SA payloads in QM,
  - don't use commit in phase 1,
  - don't send redundant id payloads in phase 2 (some
    implementations choke),
  - don't send ranges or masks that cover only a single address
    (some implementations will not recognize them as such)
  - the nonce size issue
  - you can choose cookies randomly, no benefit from using a stateless
    computation as indicated by the specs
  - how to write retransmission code, what are the relevant parameters
    (timeouts, number of attempts, etc)
  - what sort of cert req / cert payloads to send
  - etc.

What new implementors would need, imho, is a document that
specifies
  (1) what parts of IKE you need to implement,
  (2) what you definitely should not implement because it will
      be a waste of your time, and
  (3) the broken features that have been deployed (such as
      sending AH tunnel when you mean AH transport ;-)

Best regards,

-Sami