RE: Don't remove TS from IKEv2

At 12:18 PM -0800 3/20/02, Michael Choung Shieh wrote:
>An id or name (I mean phase 2 sa id, not phase 1) can represent the "scope",
>either it's a single address, or the combination of 10 adresses and 5
>subnets and 6 ranges and 3 sevices.

Not sure what you mean by this comment. The names defined in 2401 as
selectors were intended only for symbolic replacements for individual
IP addresses, where the specific addresses are instantiated when the
SA is established. Thus, for example, an IKE responder could have an
SPD entry with the name of an individual, to support a mobile user.
When the user connects from the Internet, he presents a certificate
with a name that matches the SPD entry. Assuming the certificate is
appropriately validated, the responder should create a transient SPD
entry (or, in the new model, an SPD cache entry) that takes the
original SPD entry and substitutes the IP address for the name. There
was never an intent that the name forms be used in any selector other
than the IP addresses. I admit that 2401 did not do a good job of
explaining this, but we plan to clarify in the rev of 2401.

Steve