Re: QoS considerations

Black_David@emc.com wrote:
> IPsec currently makes QoS for tunnels somewhat difficult, as
> RFC 2401 requires copying the DSCP from the inner header
> to the outer header on tunnel ingress, and discarding it
> at tunnel egress, even if it's been changed.  This is
> overly severe, and I believe/hope that it will be made more
> flexible in the new version of RFC 2401.

I can understand why this should be revisited, but it also requires a
revision of RFC 2003. RFC 2401 already specifies some incompatible rules
(e.g. for DF flag processing) that are in conflict with IPIP
encapsulation as standardized in RFC 2003. (See
draft-touch-ipsec-vpn-03.txt.) It may be useful to update 2401 and 2003
together.

Lars
--
Lars Eggert <larse@isi.edu>               Information Sciences Institute