RE: Move TS to optional (RE: Don't remove TS from IKEv2)

Yes, I posted a link to it earlier.

It's worth noting that during the presenation Pyda presented two
different ways that the policy could get updated on both ends:

- In IKE (which is what the draft talks about), but changing IKE is BAD.
- In some as yet unspecified IPSP protocol (and we again have the
  problem that someone else pointed out: that doesn't exist yet :)

So as each endpoint learns new policy (a new dynamic port), it
*somehow* (i.e. via IKE or an external protocol) tells the other end
to add or remove policy from the SA.

A pre-cursor to this draft (that I was hashing out with some l2tp
folks) had speculated on using specifiers like 'L2TP' or 'FTP' or
"H.323" (IANA assigned, of course ;) in IKE. That's essentially the
same thing as in the draft though, except the draft is more general.

Note that this mechanism would really require a 2-phase protocol. I
really wouldn't want to do an RSA calculation each time we have to add
or delete policy from our SA...

jan

 --
Jan Vilhuber                                            vilhuber@cisco.com
Cisco Systems, San Jose                                     (408) 527-0847