RE: Move TS to optional (RE: Don't remove TS from IKEv2)

I don't necessarily have any objections to doing this through an IPsec
tunnel, but it should at least be a specialized control channel tunnel
rather than having it mixed in with IPsec-tunneled data. I would suggest
that the transport mode connection between two gateways be considered a
control channel, but it seems that the L2TP people have already subsumed
this SA for their purposes. So it should probably be a port-specific SA on
which the IPSP protocol would run. This solution, in turn, necessitates a
2-phase approach in order to negotiate the IPsec control channel. An
alternative is to create an ISAKMP message for this, which is what most
people would have done before the great complexity crisis of '99.

Andrew
There are no rules, only regulations. Luckily,
history has shown that with time, hard work,
and lots of love, anyone can be a technocrat.