Re: Move TS to optional (RE: Don't remove TS from IKEv2)

Scott G. Kelly wrote:

> When people have referred to changing or updating policy within this
> thread, what (I think) they refer to is the ability to dynamically
> update the selectors associated with a given SA based upon current
> protocol state (which might better be referred to as changing the SAD
> rather than the SPD). For example, it would be nice to have a rule which
> permits FTP explicitly, without opening all TCP ports. Such a rule would
> have to allow for dynamically updating the SA selectors based on the
> content of the PORT command within FTP, i.e. it would have to rely on
> stateful protocol monitoring. Currently, no such support is
> standardized.
>
> The question is, should we be trying to solve this here, and if so, how
> can it be done? Obviously, any solution has implications for the SPD
> first (as we need a way to represent such dynamic selectors there), and
> in IKE second, as there would be some associated TS payload(s).
>
> Scott

I've found this use of the term "policy" confusing as well, but
I've become accustomed to using a generalized notion.  In the generic
meaning of policy, an SA represents a piece of policy, a rule,
and changing anything about an SA constitutes a policy change.

IKE is a key exchange protocol, not a policy manipulation protocol.
I.e., if it doesn't involve the key, don't use IKE.

What I'd suggest instead is to define the requirements for SA, SAD, and
SPD manipulation and use that as the start of a security policy
protocol.  That is one of the goals of the IPSP group, and help with
the requirements is definitely needed.  We have evidence from user
protocols and routing showing the difficulty of the current IPsec
methods.  It seems time to divide and conquer.

Hilarie