RE: Move TS to optional (RE: Don't remove TS from IKEv2)

As you point out having a specialized ipsec control channel is
equivalent to another isakmp message or some other protocol.

The advantages of sending control messages in-band to an ipsec SA are

1) Control messages are authenticated and replay protected in the
   same manner as data packet - hence have the security property.

2) If necessary, control messages can piggyack data, thereby avoiding
   latency issues.

   For example if the ipsec selector needs to be broadend,
   the sender encapsulates the esp data packet in a control packet indicating
   the required selector change. The peer on receiving it will acknowledge
   the selector-change using another control packet(may or may not piggyback
   data along with it). The sender continues to send the data in encapsulated
   form till it receives the acknowledgement from the peer.

3) Control messages are inband and specific to the SA of interest.
   Since the control message follows the same path as data path,
   it could serve as a better way to check the health of the ipsec SA.

-- sankar --