Re: Suggestion for SOI wrt PFS

From: "Jan Vilhuber" <vilhuber@cisco.com>
> On Fri, 29 Mar 2002, Catherine A. Meadows wrote:
>
> > I sent this already, but forgot to cc the list:
> >

> And I replied to the one that wasn't cc'd to the list :) Here's the
> reply:
>

> As another data point consider VPN client-software, that may have to
> re-prompt the user for new passwords (shared keys or one-time
> passwords) when doing a new phase 1. That MAY be undesireable,
> although I have no evidence on what customers want either
> way.

I know for a fact this is a sticking point with customers, re-sending a
one-time PW every day or two is even met with a great deal of resistance.

> Generally, people do NOT want to be reprompted for passwords in
> the middle of a session, though...
>
> Given that, doing a PFS and feeding it back into the SKEYSEED seems
> favorable..

One difference between the IKEv1 PFS and the mechanism Andrew proposes (or
even rekeying the Phase1 more often) is the inability to generate a new
SKEYSEED_D based on QM traffic unless the QM SAs KByte stats are relayed
back to the IKE SA that created them.  For implementations capable of Gbps
bursts I think this functionality would likely be needed.

Darren

vilhuber@cisco.com
> > > Cisco Systems, San Jose                                     (408)
527-0847