From: Michael Thomas [mailto:mat@cisco.com]
Sent: 01 April 2002 15:57
To: Angelos D. Keromytis
Cc: Jan Vilhuber; Bill Sommerfeld; andrew.krywaniuk@alcatel.com;
ipsec@lists.tislabs.com
Subject: Re: Suggestion for SOI wrt PFS

Angelos D. Keromytis writes:
 > So you're saying that you *do* have a business need for a box that can
 > support a sustained SA setup rate of 1000 tunnels/second ? Could you
 > expand on it ?

Oh please. Not everything is a site-site VPN. IKE
was specifically deemed useless by Packetcable for
cable telephony because restart avalanches of tens
or hundreds of *thousands* subscriber boxes would
lead to unacceptible down times. That's *one*
business need, and hardly a unique one. Any high
fan out use of IPsec is going to care a great deal
about how the high fan in box behaves, and the
number of SA's per second is an important number.

	  Mike

The information contained in this message is confidential and is intended
for the addressee(s) only.  If you have received this message in error or
there are any problems please notify the originator immediately.  The
unauthorized use, disclosure, copying or alteration of this message is
strictly forbidden. Baltimore Technologies plc will not be liable for direct,
special, indirect or consequential damages arising from alteration of the
contents of this message by a third party or as a result of any virus being
passed on.

In addition, certain Marketing collateral may be added from time to time to
promote Baltimore Technologies products, services, Global e-Security or
appearance at trade shows and conferences.

computer viruses.