Re: [mobile-ip] Re: replacing IPsec's replay protection?

On Wednesday 03 April 2002 11:12, Michael Thomas wrote:
 > I honestly don't see why MIP needs to go beyond
 > saying "use IPsec, beware manual keys".

Because nobody really WANTS to use manual keys?
And because while IKEv1 is a hog (and no real negotiation
seems necessary),  something VERY light-weight is needed?

 >That is, so long as there is a viable way of keying IPsec
 > which enables replay protection -- and there is --
 > MIP doesn't need to be any more specific *how* to
 > do that.

Don't you think there might be interoperability issues if the exact way
of keying IPsec  is omitted?  Also, creating SA is *more* than just
keying.

 > If people want a lighter weight option than either IKE, JFK, KINK
 > etc, than that is a IPsec WG problem. But MIP, IMO, doesn't need to
 > boil the ocean here. If it's an interesting problem to solve for MIP,
 > it's an equally interesting problem to solve for a whole slew of
 > other protocols which might be protected by IPsec.
 > That is, generality good, one-off bad.

The description of the problem to solve seemed to be:

1. IPsec is preferred as protection mechanism, but
2. SA is established via IKEv1 and people don't want to pay this price.
3. So a lightweight "compact" protocol for establishing SA is needed,
4. but it must be defined as two peers must know how to negotiate.

A  possible solution (as I see it) could be:

1. "Negotiate on paper" - i.e. define most if not all the attributes of
SA that should satisfy usage criteriae (including the crypto suite).
2. Select a simple key agreement protocol (any Bellare-Rogaway
derivative should do nicely) - such as *interlocked* CHAP or AKA.
3. Specify all of the above in a generic draft.

Those who can live with SA attributes specified in (1) can use this
simple protocol and save on code and time. Those who must use full
power of IKE will either take IKEv1, or wait till IKEv2 (hopefully
soon).

 > In any case, my larger point here is that a
 > mandatory mechanism for MIP which requires per
 > node consumption of NVRAM on a Home Agent as a
 > MUST IMPLEMENT, where IKE, JFK, KINK, etc don't
 > place any such requirements on IPsec seems
 > onerous, and should be optional. Ideally, it
 > would be one of a set of acceptible choices.

The above doesn't make sense, because you *have* to have something in
NVRAM regardless. The question is - exactly what. And a simplified
approach allows you to "memorize" less than IKE or JFK would
require.

--
Regards,
Uri