Re: FW: Dead peer detection

On Wed, 3 Apr 2002, Casey Carr wrote:

> Sorry.  I sent this to the IPSec Policy WG the first time by mistake.
>
> I think it more appropriate in the general IPSec WG.

When we were designing the DPD mechanism published in the draft, we
actually considered this. Given that media traffic can easily be
unidirectional (UDP/RTP traffic needs no ack's), we didn't think this
was appropriate, since you could go your whole life without a packet
in the other direction (internet radio comes to mind, except of course
that most of those run over tcp..).

>     A peer that wishes to elicit a packet may send a "ping".  Such
>     hosts MAY decline any proposed security associations that do not
>     permit such "ping" packets."

The sense I get in the working group is that the key protocol should
indeed have formalized key management functionality (deletes,
informationals, DPD, etc). Using pings has its own set of problems, so
we should formalize this all under the key management protocol
(i.e. son of IKE).

jan
 --
Jan Vilhuber                                            vilhuber@cisco.com
Cisco Systems, San Jose                                     (408) 527-0847