From: Jan Vilhuber
To: Michael Choung Shieh
Cc: Tero Kivinen; ipsec@lists.tislabs.com; Paul Hoffman / VPNC
Sent: 4/4/02 5:28 PM
Subject: RE: Do we actually need dynamic ports?

On Thu, 4 Apr 2002, Michael Choung Shieh wrote:

> Doing extra IKE to creat a new sa DURING application will introduce
extra
> latency and it may cause packet drop or retransmit.  It's probably not
> preferred if every FTP put/get will delay one or two seconds when
passing
> through IKE.

I don't think I'm going to reopen that discussion. We're talking about
the option of:

a) negotiate an 'update' to an SA
or
b) negotiate a new (expanded) SA and delete the old one

In both cases you need an active phase 1 IKE SA. If you still have one
around, no extra expense is incurred. If not, you'll need to add one.

Doing this without negotiatiing something wasn't one of the proposed
options.

jan

http://www.ssh.fi/ipsec/

vilhuber@cisco.com
> Cisco Systems, San Jose                                     (408)
527-0847

 --
Jan Vilhuber
vilhuber@cisco.com