RE: Do we actually need dynamic ports?

I believe I was the initiator of the discussion that is being eluded to
- inband signaling seems to be considered taboo by many (personally I am
   convinced that esp would have benefitted many ways with some provision
   for control information, like a few flag bits. We never know what the
   future requirements bring - I feel it would have been prudent to
   have introduced atleast a few bits for flags and version#.
   protocols such as IP, TCP have it. As for performance considerations,
   many IP packets gets processed in the fast path as ESP).

   My other proposals such as using a reserved spi to encapsulate the
   original esp packet to indicate the presence of control information
   was mainly a way to workaround the initial limitation of absence
   of control bits in the esp header.

   Having said that, I agree with you if we rule out inband signaling
   as an option, a minimum of 1 roundtrip overhead is unavoidable
   - atleast I cannot think of any.

   The question I have is 200-500ms roundtrip delay (from Tero's
   observation) acceptable latency for the expected spectrum of
   dynamic protocols? I found that from talking to some of my team
   members that for H.323 atleast since this delay will occur only
   during call-setup time, it is acceptable.

   Is it the same case for other so called dynamic protocol scenarios?

-- sankar --