RE: dynamic ports vs. rekeying

> Is this still an issue in ikev2? Quick mode is no longer 3 messages,
> so the responder can immediately install all SA's and the initiator
> can start sending when he receives the reply...

It's an issue because of this scenario:

Alice and Bob have an SA for TCP connection #1: ports 123-12345

Later on, Alice wants to add a selector for TCP connection #2: ports
234-23456

She sends Create_Child_SA1 for an SA that covers both connections, and Bob
replies with Create_Child_SA2, but the packet gets dropped. Now Bob will
start sending traffic for connection #1 on the new SA, which Alice hasn't
installed yet. A phase 2 message to add selectors doesn't have that problem.

I suppose you could work around this problem to a certain extent by having
Alice do "Initiator Pre-Setup" (installing the new SA before the negotiation
is complete). But this is kind of kludgy, and it certainly doesn't work with
PFS (to open up that can of worms again).

Andrew
There are no rules, only regulations. Luckily,
history has shown that with time, hard work,
and lots of love, anyone can be a technocrat.