Sent: Thursday, April 11, 2002 10:08 PM
Subject: IKE vs UDP checksum.

> Since IKE is using The Diffie-Hellman protocol for key management,

Diffie-Hellman is not a checksum or MAC protocol - it is an
unauthenticated key agreement protocol.  IKE follows up the DH
exchange with an additional authentication step, which among other
things verifies a hash of the preceding messages; however, that hash
can't be verified until after the exchange is complete.

If the UDP checksum were disabled, data corruption due to noise won't
be detected until the hash is computed and verified while processing
the last pair of messages in main mode.

> I do not see why IKE should use the 2 bytes of UDP cheksum.

IKE runs over UDP; UDP provides a checksum as a normal part of its
operation.  Many IKE implementations will never even see the raw UDP
header and its checksum, and thus would never "use" the checksum - but
the underlying UDP implementation will use it.

The UDP checksum (as well as other unkeyed lower-layer checks, such as
the ethernet CRC) has value for IKE in that it reduces the chance that
a phase 1 exchange will be spuriously aborted due to noise.

- Bill