terminology of channel numbers

  One thing that the FreeSWAN team has discussed introducing to Son-of-IKE is
the notion of a channel and channel ID.

  This is akin to SPI#, but is higher level.

  This is essentially a 32 or 64 bit blob produced by concatenating a shorter
ID present in the proposal by each end.

  This is a longer lived identifier than SPI#. One uses this ID to identify
the set of SAs that currently or have implemented a policy.
  That is, the entire blob identifies both directions of traffic flow.

  Rekey's would say  "I wish to rekey channel #XXXXXX"
  Delete's would say "I wish to delete channel #XXXXXX" because I'm turning
myself off.
  {vs "I want to delete SPI#" (because we just rekeyed it)}

  This makes is very clear what is going on at each end.