Re: Ikev2 IKE-SA rekey collision

On Fri, 3 May 2002, Radia Perlman - Boston Center for Networking wrote:

> Actually, one could have the same problem you point out, on establishment of
> the original IKE-SA. The spec does say that one should randomize
> the rekeying time to minimize the likelihood of duplicate
> SA's resulting from rekeying. I think your suggestion
> would work...

I'm all for writing something like this into the spec. While it
trivial to do and implement, it's impossible to retrofit without
standard-support, since iut'll wind up being non-interoperable, if
everyone does it differently (one picks the larger nonce, the other
the smaller nonce, and you wind up with nothing).

Any objections to writing this into the standard?

jan

 --
Jan Vilhuber                                            vilhuber@cisco.com
Cisco Systems, San Jose                                     (408) 527-0847

http://www.eff.org/cafe