RE: data origin authentication

Hello, Joern
if you are a bad guy and you own a in-bound SA you can produced a faked ESP
packet that looks like its come from the other party of your in-bound SA.
Then you can claim that you got this packet from the other party. So the
data origin authentication of ESP (two parties know the same authentication
key) don't deliver non-repudiation of data origin.  But a receiver can be
sure that the sender of an incoming ESP packet is only the other party of
the related in-bound SA or the receiver itself. For this proof, I guess, the
receiver needs only <dst IP address, protocol (ESP), SPI> to find the
related SA and the related authentication key. The receiver proofs the
authentication value and this proof delivers the answer, if the sender has
the identity the sender claimed. The check against the ip address of the
sender saves time (if you do it before) and is a MUST but for the data
authentication not really necessary. But I'm also a newcomer in IPSec and
may be I'm wrong.
Christina