A problem with FreeS/WAN on Redhat Linux 7.2

Hi,

I ran into a problem when I tried to install the FreeS/WAN 1.97 on Redhat Linux 7.2 (Kernel 2.4.7-10).

After I boot the machine using the new kernel, the IPSec package was installed correctly and I can use the command "ipsec". But IP networking got totally crashed. The route table became null and I can't ping any other machine.

I checked the boot.log and found the following line:
Ifup: Cannot open netlink socket: Address family not supported by protocol.

What does this mean?

Thanks,
Jia