RE: Specification of tunnel/transport attribute in IKEv2

The merit of this ordering is not the point. Since 90% of IPsec
implementations either fundamentally do not support this feature, or maybe
could support it but have no desire to do so, yours is a rather edge case.
Therefore, I suggest that you enable it via a proprietary extension.

Leaving the specification vague on some critical issues because a few people
had some esoteric objections is exactly where we went wrong with IKEv1.

Andrew
There are no rules, only regulations. Luckily,
history has shown that with time, hard work,
and lots of love, anyone can be a technocrat.