Re: DOS attacks with Cookies

Yogesh,

    The problem you have specified is mentioned in
IKEV2 draft. In this case Alice should process
multiple responses for it's request. This would solve
the problem.

Satish
--- Yogesh.Swami@nokia.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a question/comment on the use of Cookies for
> key exchange. I think there is a potential for very
> easy and more pointed DOS attacks with the present
> key exchange mechanisms. Let me give an example to
> explain this.
>
> Lets say Alice wants to establish a Phase-1 SA with
> Bob. Also, lets say Trudy--who wants to deny Alice
> any access to resources--can some how snoop Alice's
> packets. Also let the round trip time between Alice
> and Trudy be far less than the roundtrip time
> between Alice and Bob (say Trudy is on the same LAN
> as Alice for the sake of this example--but Trudy
> does not necessarily have to be on the same LAN, all
> she needs is a) ability to see Alice's packet and b)
> her round trip time to be less than that of Bob).
>
> When Alice sends her cookie, Trudy sees this packet
> coming on UDP 500, and quickly responds to Alice's
> cookie with a random cookie and sets the source IP
> address in her response packet to be that of Bob and
> sends it to Alice.
>
> Alice will receive this Cookie response from Trudy
> long before she can receive Bob's response and since
> Alice has no way of knowing if this cookie really
> came from Bob, she will respond to this cookie
> thinking this is a Legitimate response and proceed
> with the Deffie Hellmann exchange to Bob.
>
> When Bob receives this cookie, the cookies will not
> match (Since the cookie was generated by Trudy) and
> he will just reject the request thinking that Alice
> was trying to attack him. This way Trudy has
> successfully prevented Alice from having a secure
> channel with Bob.
>
> Question: What is Alice supposed to do when she
> receives a Duplicate Message with a Different Cookie
> from the same host? Please consider the case when
> there was a retransmission and the retransmitted
> packet got corrupted in the way and the two
> cookies--though legitimate--have different values.
>
> If Trudy can automate this process, she can deny
> access to anyone who she can snoop. If someone can
> write a worm that does this automatically and spread
> this across the internet (in this case on just needs
> to snoop the loop back interface and does not even
> need to see packet on the wire) one can create a lot
> more damage.
>
> If Alice and Bob were to be two SG (security
> gateways), then Trudy can virtually isolate every
> one behind Alice's SG from accessing Bob's
> resources. In the process of avoiding DOS attacks we
> have opened room for even worse attacks (this is
> worse because it could be targeted towards a
> particular set of people without affecting others.
> So, for example, if two companies want to vote for a
> merger one of them can prevent the other by simply
> not allowing any secure channel, while people from
> the other company can easily do so)
>
> I guess, the only solution is to do authentication
> before doing anything else -- in which case we don't
> need any cookies anymore and we can save a round
> [...]

=====
In natural science, Nature has given us a world and we're just to discover its laws. In computers, we can stuff laws into it and create a world            -- Alan Kay