IKE v1 multiple ISAKMP SAs

hi Kousik & Rob

    According to you both 2 ISAKMP SAs are possible and cookies would
specify which ISAKMP SA was used.
But i want to know
    1. whether it is absolutely necessary that i have to give support for
multiple ISAKMP SAs.
        Consider scenarios where there are memory constrains. Could you
suggest me some scheme where i can avoid multiple ISAKMP SAs.
    2. Also i want to know what do you do when ISAKMP SA expires.
        Do you remove them or refresh the existing ISAKMP SA with new
information.

Also can you justify multiple ISAKMP SAs existence.

Thanks and regards
Saket

Yes, it is, and it can happen because "A" and "B" decide to simultaneously
initiate phase 1.  It can also happen because "A" notices that there is
not very much time left on the SA and establishes a second SA (or a third,
or fourth...).  As a result, the phase 2 SAs MUST be able to identify the
phase 1 SA used to create them (for delete and error notification purposes).

Additionally, you will have to decide (we allow the user to set either
option) if you will allow phase 2 SA's to 'dangle' past the lifetime of the
phase 1 SA.

While it is very complicated, you might want to look at the Kame, FreeSWAN,
or NetBSD code to see what they have done.

Hope this helps,
rwt