Re: SOI schizophrenia

On Wed, 15 May 2002, Michael Thomas wrote:

> I admit it. I'm having a real hard time deciding
> which design philosophy is actually more
> appropriate for SOI. I've vacillated quite a few
> times and it doesn't seem like it's about to abate
> any time soon. What Paul's document tells me
> (which pretty jibes with my own judgement) is that
> both protocols are vast improvements over IKE, and
> they seem to reach quite similar conclusions on
> the basic message exchanges. Both put effort into
> DoS, and simplify the on-wire combinatorial
> explosion of SA establishment. All in all, they
> both seem competent.

They are both competent from a cryptography point of view, but only
one actually allows key management in any sane way. I think that's
where the two part company, and we as a group need to decide which is
more appropriate: A key *agreement* protocol (JFK) which will require
other protocols (ICMP? Right..) to help solve the current deployment
stability, or a key *management* protocol (IKEv2), that let's you
manage the key we agreed on, without requiring other external
management protocols.

The rest of the topics are in my mind really ancillary (You want it
red? You can have it red. You want cipher suites? You can have those?
You want pre-shared keys? We could add that if necessary. You would
prefer it round instead of square? Done.).

So one important question is:

Is
  (simple + n*(extra management protocol)) <
                             (complex + 0*(extra management protocol))
?

Of course another question might be: Do we need key management? Based
on operational experience and fixing lots of customer deployment and
network stability problems, I'd say that's an emphatic YES.

2 phases? Yes.
Key management? Yes.
Simplicity? Only where it doesn't conflict with being able to maintain
an operational network.

jan

 --
Jan Vilhuber                                            vilhuber@cisco.com
Cisco Systems, San Jose                                     (408) 527-0847