Re: ipsec to secure rsvp

The tricky part (my personal opinion) is that, using IPSec, you
must know the other endpoint's IP address to establish the SA in
the first place. According to my understanding, at least in general,
in RSVP, you do NOT know the next hop RSVP router's IP address in
path finding messages (I assume that not every Internet router will
support RSVP), and sometimes route path might change unpredictably.

Therefore, (according to my old/dusty memory), Fred Baker's proposal
to secure RSVP is based on a key table and key ID to allow the next
hop trusted RSVP router to authenticate (HMAC fashion) the message
without prior seesion-key exchange.

I have admitted that I haven't followed the thread of progress in
RSVP security for a while, so maybe things have been changed.

-Felix