RE: WG LAST CALL: draft-ietf-ipsec-ciph-aes-xcbc-mac-01.txt

The increased amount of memory is one consideration; another is the
increased memory bandwidth.  My estimate is that storing three keys
instead of storing just one key will add about 10% to the memory
bandwidth for SA accesses.  But you also have the option of storing just
the original key and generating K1, K2, and K3 on the fly.  With proper
pipelining it will affect latency but not throughput.  So another
trade-off is (amount of memory, memory bandwidth) vs. (number of gates).

Best Regards,
Joseph D. Harwood
(408) 838-9434
jharwood@vesta-corp.com