RE: Public Keys to initiate IPsec.

Thanks for the pointers.

After reading thru PKIX and SCEP, and being reinforced by Alex
Alten's message today RE: addresses and IKEv2, it is clear
a key element of my problem is associating the application's
endpoint name with the security key, but not the dynamically
provided IP address. The endpoint name is not in DNS, and
customer premise DHCP is outside of our control.

When the endpoint's IP address changes the client app. reregisters.
Upon each regstriation a new session key and SA should be created.
At all other times the secure session needs to be up 24x7x365.

It looks like the regsitration process must always be initiated
without security so that an entry can be put into the IPsecConfig
updating the new mapping of IP address to key. It also seems like
a potential DoS mechanism to act based on this unauthenticated
registration message.

It would be best that prior to registration a new SA is created
that links the (non-DNS) endpoint name to a shared private or
public key. Extra work and changes to configurations would not
be needed based on unauthenticated messages.

It looks like SCEP is about the right weight for key management
using LDAP for storage. But then anoterh protocol is required,
and all intervening firewalls need to allow it. More possibilities
for error. It would be nice if this level of key management could
be performed over the IPsec link.  Can a public certificate be
associated with an application name/URI that does not exist in DNS?

Eric