RE: Public Keys to initiate IPsec.

Steve,

We build a call control application using MGCP.
IPsec is the standard for securing MGCP in RFC 2705.
The RFC says nothing about what that really means.

Our call control agent receives only MGCP on specific
UDP ports. Each MGCP endpoint has a name, similar to
a SIP URI. The name is the key to all actions that
are invoked, what keys are used, etc.

The endpoint name is in the header of MGCP message,
but I need to relate it to the secure communications.
I cannot allow one trusted endpoint to spoof another,
and I cannot control IP addresses for endpoint devices.

And of course, if the power goes out, I need to provide
service to huge numbers of endpoints without spending
all of the server's resources re-setting up security
associations.

Encryption is not necessary. It looks like transport
mode AH with aggressive mode IKE is the direction I am
heading. I am now trying to connect the ISAKMP id_key_id
parameter to my application settings. Somehow get the
endpointname == id_key_id, use that to look up the key.

In the end, this is a multi-vendor effort, so I must stay
within accepted standards yet meet some high performance
and simple administration requirements.

Eric