Re: Specification of tunnel/transport attribute in IKEv2

Charlie, >Returning to the original posting under this subject line, Andrew Krywaniuk >asked: > >> I remember reading a posting on the list recently about the confusion >> surrounding the specification of tunnel mode with SA bundles (i.e. if you >> are doing ESP+AH, should you specify tunnel mode for one and transport >for >> the other or tunnel for both). At the bakeoffs, we decided that you >should >> put tunnel mode in both protocols. Also, we decided that the ordering of >the >> protocols in the proposal shouldn't matter, since the only ordering that >> makes sense is [AH][ESP][IPCOMP]. > >Seems like this should be pinned down. My inclination is to say that the >order in the proposal *does* matter, and therefore if the above is the only >order that makes sense then that is the only order allowed in the proposal. >Markku Savela claimed there was a legitimate use for a different >composition. I'll confess I didn't understand the rationale, but I'm >reluctant >to delete functionality if it's implemented and doesn't get in anyone's >way. > >Would people accept making it explicit that the order in the proposal >MUST match the order of headers in the resulting packets with mention >that implementations of combinations SHOULD use the order >[AH][ESP][IPCOMP]? > >Currently, no composition of AH and ESP is mandatory to implement, and >I would expect that it would be unusual for anyone to support it in a >single >bundle. (They might exist in a single packet when tunnels are nested, but >such would not be an issue for IKE). Is there an expectation that people >are actually going to do this? 2401 does mandate support in transport mode for [IP1][AH][ESP] but says to not do [IP1][ESP][AH]. I suspect that's why folks thought the order didn't matter. I agree, though, that we should state that ordering does matter. On the other hand, I assume that we will depricate the use of AH in general and we can kill of that combination as a MUST. >> >> I figured we should make sure that these ambiguities are cleared up in >the >> Son-of-IKE candidates. However, in perusing through the IKEv2 draft, I >can >> find no mention of tunnel mode or transport mode at all. Are the authors >> assuming that one of the modes is going to be eliminated before we >> standardize SOI, or is this just an oversight? > >It was not an oversight, though it may have been a mistake. I assumed >that tunnel vs transport mode did not need to be negotiated nor be an >attribute of the SA, but rather that every SA would be capable of >carrying both transport mode and tunnel mode packets. In the extreme, >a single SA might carry both types where tunnel mode is used when the >inner IP addresses don't match the outer IP addresses. I can see how >this might cause confusion through NATs, but it's not clear how adding >tunnel vs. transport mode to the negotiation helps in that case. > >Could someone give an example of when it's not "obvious" what mode >should be used and how the endnodes can manage to negotiate the >right thing in that case? There are different opinions here. I believe that one should negotiate the mode and the other end should enforce it when parsing a packet. Dan McDonald (Sun) believe that it makes no difference. Steve