Re: Son of IKE: A proposal for moving forward

Theodore Ts'o writes:
 > If you could give us some specifics about what sorts of CPU/memory
 > resources you think these "cheap wireless widgets" will have, that
 > would be very helpful.  Given that StrongARM and PPC processors are
 > regularly used in embedded devices, and very sophisticated systems
 > have been implemented on embedded devices (including full Linux
 > systems and full IKEv1 systems --- heck, IBM demonstrated Linux
 > running on a wristwatch!  :-), without some quantifiable limitations
 > of these future wireless devices, it's very hard to move forward.

   I can't give any specifics, just the my general
   observation of watching this play out in real
   life. What you're missing here is not whether
   it _could_ be included, but whether including
   it means that perceived revenue generating
   features will have to be foregone because of
   security. The unfortunate fact is that
   security is not generally seen as an offseting
   feature; it's just a cost, not a product
   differentiator.

   Half of the problem of getting pervasive crypto
   is just getting it into things. Lowering the
   energy barrier here would change a lot of the
   dynamics that I've seen, and as I said to Dan,
   I work for a company where bloat isn't one of
   the major cultural evils -- unlike consumer
   electronics companies where those pennies add up.

	       Mike