RE: history and why does IKE need a successor

Hi Ricky,

Leaving all the history stuff aside, I believe that SOI will (hopefully)
offer more than IKEv1++ (IKEv1 + proprietary extensions that make it
useable) does today.

Let's assume that we could finally get agreement on the following for IKEv1:
- remote access
- DPD / Keepalives / Heartbeats
- rekeying
- Continuous Channel mode vs. dangling
- NAT traversal
- INITIAL-CONTACT / Birth Certificates
- etc...

I think we'd probably still need to at least have a new mode (Base Mode,
Hybrid, CRACK, etc...) to solve other issues that can't be solved without
major changes to IKEv1.

Once you cram all the things listed above in IKEv1, it starts to look a heck
of a lot like IKEv2 (except of course for the controversial remote access
issues).

However, things like DoS protection can't easily be put in IKEv1 without
making new modes (and then more or less rewriting much of your code anyway).
Identity protection is another issue that comes to mind that may not fit
well into IKEv1.

I fully understand where you're coming from... if, once we nail down the
requirements, we decide that any new additions can be reasonably easily
inserted into IKEv1, then I fully agree with you.  However, I don't think
the requirements will fall that way.  At least not the kind of requirements
I'm hoping to get...

Stephane.