Re: SOI QUESTIONS: 2.6 Formal proofs of security

Theodore Ts'o wrote:

> Please discuss and answer this question.....
>
> 2.6 Formal proofs of security
>
> 2.6.)  Does SOI need to provide a formal proof of security?  (Is this
> a "must have" or a "nice to have"?  What are we willing to trade-off
> for having a formal proof of security?)

It is important that the protocol goes through some level of formal
analysis.  For example, Cathy Meadows did an analysis of GDOI (using NRL
protocol analyzer?) and helped identify some security holes.  A similar
analysis would be very useful in case of SOI as well.

best,
Lakshminath