Re: SOI QUESTIONS: 2.3 Authentication styles

At 8:44 PM -0700 6/20/02, Chinna N.R. Pellacuru wrote:
>Not an inefficiency if you don't run a firewall in your implementation,
>and your standard of security is only what is provided by a 'static packet
>filter'. We call that ACL functionality, not even a firewall
>functionality.
>
>     chinna

The term "ACL" is well understood in the information security
literature for over 30 years. It is quaint that Cisco (I assume the
"we" above) has adopted that term for a particilaur functionality in
their products, but Cisco's effective monopoly status in the router
product arena does not confer and special status on the neologistic
use of the term.

Steve