RE: SOI QUESTIONS: 2.6 Formal proofs of security

Was the Needham-Schroeder flaw discovered by a formal proof? (I got the
impression it was discovered via machine simulation.) It would be nice if we
had some kind of magical Turing machine that would read in an RFC and tell
us if the protocol was secure, but in reality the formal methods are
imperfect because they rely on too much human input.

Yes, we should continue to analyze the protocol and improve the machine
analysis tools. However, the question Ted posed is what are we willing to
trade off in order to get a security proof. I don't think we need to dumb
down the protocol to cater to the limitations of formal analysis. I would
trust a logical analsis more than a formalized one at this point.

Andrew
There are no rules, only regulations. Luckily,
history has shown that with time, hard work,
and lots of love, anyone can be a technocrat.